The IRS is warning the public about a phone scam that targets people across the nation, including recent immigrants. Callers claiming to be from the IRS tell intended victims they owe taxes and must pay using a prepaid debit card or wire transfer. The scammers threaten those who refuse to pay with arrest, deportation or loss of a business or driver’s license.
The callers who commit this fraud often:
- Know the last four digits of the victim’s Social Security number
- Use common names and fake IRS badge numbers
- Make caller ID appear as if the IRS is calling
- Send bogus IRS emails to support their scam
- Call a second time claiming to be the police or DMV, and caller ID again supports their claim